Saturday, August 22, 2009

New studio, painting cart

As part of my new studio (i.e., part of the garage) I created a "painting cart" from a set of Metro shelves on wheels. It's 48" wide and 18" deep, and around 40" tall.
Everything I need is right there, except for the stereo, which is on the other side of the garage. Paints, brushes, turpentine, rags, etc.

I also made this "palette box" with stuff from Home Depot: a piece of 18" x 36" glass, some masonite, plywood, and wood strips. I put a piece of gray photo backdrop paper under the glass. I'm hopeful that by covering this "box" with a piece of plywood at the end of the day, it will keep the paints from drying out so quickly, or getting dusty, or making the place smell too oily.


When I used to paint in the past, everything was completely disorganized. All my paints would be in disarray, I wouldn't care for the brushes, everything was topsy-turvy. A mess. Now, after many years working as an advertising art director, I've clearly become very obsessive/compulsive when it comes to my workspace. I have everything arranged neatly, even down to writing the names of the paint colors around the edge of the palette. I know it probably seems strange, but being organized helps me to focus.

1 comment:

  1. Darling, I've seen your desk. I wouldn't exactly describe you as "obsessive/complusive" about your work space. ;-)

    ReplyDelete